I was very lucky indeed last Friday. After a pleasant lunch in very rural Bedfordshire with my old work colleague, Mark, I returned to central London and had a leisurely cup of coffee before ambling down to Kings Cross and catching the 5.18 to Hull. Little did I know that about half an hour later the whole Kings Cross area would be paralysed by a power cut – after which the next train north did not leave till about 11.30. Fortunately by that time I was fast asleep in my own bed! Thousands were not so lucky. 
Rob Ward glances the ball to the leg-side at Field lane 
Satyajeet Bacchav bowls in his four-wicket spell 
The following day we popped over to Barnsley – Kirsty to see her niece, who was not very well, whilst I went to see her step-father, who had managed to survive very nicely whilst the rest of the family had been away. We then drove down to Cawthorne, where I was shown around the ground by chairman Dale Skelly. I had heard that it was a very good ground, so the inspection was something of a formality, but as the club are serious challengers for promotion to our league next season, it had to be done. 
It is certainly a very picturesque ground, with a well-equipped clubhouse and what looked like very good teas! We always say that most cricket grounds look good in sunshine – well I have to say that Cawthorne looked lovely even in the rain! I am sure that if they achieve promotion, our clubs will enjoy their visits there. I wish them all the best for the rest of the season. 
After that, we popped into the Olde Post Office for a very late, but excellent lunch. We both had hake, which is a favourite fish of ours, and it was beautifully cooked. I quite like going to restaurants outside the peak periods – it is usually quiet and peaceful, and the service tends to be at its best. 
After that we went up to Field Lane to watch the second innings of the Wakefield Thornes v Aston Hall game. It was not the best watching weather, but we did a couple of laps of the boundary whilst Kirsty took photos and I found several people to chat to. 
The first innings having been truncated when Thornes had made 202-4 and still had seven overs in hand, Aston Hall’s target was adjusted by DLS to a challenging 234 in 41 overs, and they found it too tall a task. Thornes therefore got back on the winning trail after suffering an unprecedented three consecutive league defeats. It looks a bit bleak for the Green Lane side at the moment, but there are four games left and they are just 18 points from safety – so all is not yet lost, and I wish them all the best for the coming weeks. 
The game at Elsecar produced the first one-run win in the League’s short history. Having taken the League by storm in the first two-thirds of the season, Doncaster are now going through a rocky patch. Fortunately for them, however, the teams below them have not been able to take advantage, and their lead at the top is still twenty points. 
There were one or two incidents in the games played on Saturday. It was commented in the Captains’ Meeting that the cricket currently being played in our league is more competitive than ever – that is good, but unfortunately the pressure does sometimes mean that tempers get frayed. Like everyone else, I want to see competitive games, but I hope that the end of the season is not marred by disciplinary incidents. The Spirit of Cricket says that captains are responsible for the conduct of their teams – that is accepted, but everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions. 
Sunday was a family day as usual, and we were kept both entertained and under control by our almost three-year old grand-daughter. Her visits last about four hours, but the time flies by, and it seems very quiet when she goes home. But after tidying and washing up, an episode of Bosch and a glass of wine was a lovely way to finish the weekend! 
I was back at the university on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, and after yesterday’s session I drove across to meet Steve at the Aire & Calder near Goole. We dealt with a lot of cricket business, but digressed into reminisces a few times, so our meeting lasted nearly two and a half hours. Without us realising at the time, our paths crossed back in the 1980s, when Steve was scoring for Askern, and I was umpiring in the Humber Don. After returning home, I worked my way through the list of actions Steve allocated to me, before getting tea ready and collecting Kirsty and her nephew, James, from the station. 
Tomorrow I have another university session in the morning, after which I shall drive straight across to Elsecar for their Lashings game. On Saturday, we will take James back home to Barnsley and then call in at Tickhill for the game against Whitley Hall. 
Till next week, 
Share this post:
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings